“I can’t believe we slept in” – These words I screamed while running around the house like a looney on Little Red’s first day in her new school! Thankfully the first day is always a bit more relaxed so we didn’t get her into any trouble – parent fail number 372 of 2015. I had packed and prepared everything the night before (OCD wins again) So all we needed to do was butter toast for the journey! Our house just seems like a game of twister at the moment- fun but absolute chaos. Little Red is used to this chaos by now so she took it in her stride.
We ran to the gate of the school quickly in an attempt to take a few family photos before class started. We managed to get one good photo. Only one! The only person in it was Little Red (thankful we got one of her) she was a star and took her mad family by the hands, wiped our tears away, said goodbye and introduced herself to a new friend. On a positive note – Little Red’s teacher this year is from Ireland (screaming inside) to hide my excitement! Maybe she will get her Irish accent back?
Some Year Two advice for Cadhla-Rose (to take to heart or just to take pieces anytime she needs them)
– Always be respectful and use manners towards your Teacher, Friends and anyone else you meet.
– Have fun (always) as this will make learning easier and your day less long.
– Never be afraid to be smart. Don’t hide away how amazing you are.
– If others learn faster than you don’t get frustrated or if you learn something faster don’t make someone upset that they don’t know it yet, it will come to everyone in time.
– Never be rude.
– Always come to me or your Teacher with anything, we will always listen to your worries.
– Be yourself (you are amazing) never give that up.
– Never be afraid to ask a question. This means you are eager to learn and this is how you will learn.
– If something is keeping you from learning and you have tried your best, always tell your teacher and if you can’t tell your teacher. Tell me!
– Eat all your breakfast so you are able to stay awake to learn.
– If someone is mean or is making you feel uncomfortable remember what Linda taught you. Put your hand up and say “Please stop that- I don’t like it”. If they don’t listen- tell your teacher.
– Keep using your wonderful imagination.
– Read as many books as you can so you can keep your imagination growing.
– Always tell the truth. Never be afraid (even if you get in trouble) it’s better to be honest.
– Enjoy your school time and use those big beautiful ears to the best of your ability.
The first day of school is a time marker in every child’s life. Every year we have taken a photo on the first day and the last day of school and I always get shocked at how much Mylittlelove’s grow in that time. The years go by so fast and I fear that we will look back when they are older and making memories with their own Littlelove’s and wonder what happened? Atleast we will always have the photos to re-jog our memories and bring us back to those special moments where we felt so proud and full of joy.
So to Mammy’s out there. You don’t have to be a photographer to take out your phone and take a snap. You will have memories for a life time that will bring you back to that feeling of pure happiness!
Happy First Day In Your New School Little Red x