Screen time is something that I would love to say is limited in our house. Usually iPads only make an appearance on the weekend for 30minutes or if we are out to dinner and it is somewhere we need them to be a little more relaxed. That said this summer has been long, hotter then hot and we ran out of ideas fairly quickly. Both girls have enjoyed time on the iPad through out the day and in keeping with trying to keep learning activities up I have opted to only have games on the iPad that do just that. After all – It is easier to learn when you are having fun.
With only 10 sleeps until school starts I wanted to share our favourite apps (on iPad) for our Little’s. This screen time helped us get through this long 11 weeks of summer and I am hoping it might help some Mama’s get through the last haul.
Since this house is a girl zone, we have a lot of girly ones, but a few that are unisex too. Boy mamas – I would love to hear you’re favorites as well – Please leave a comment at the bottom so Mama’s have a selection.
Aoibhie’s Favorite Apps (3-5years old)
- Doc McStuffins!Time for your check up! A lot of music, fun and role play.
- The Berenstain Bears! There are so many interactive book/games to choose from all with a gorgeous message attached. Our favourites are “A job well done” & “Faithful Friends!” (created by Oceanhouse Media)
- My Play Home Storiestime for kids to play around in the business world! (created by play home software)
- The Human Body!A basic look at the working parts of the human body. It’s a colorful, interesting, and fun introduction to physiology. (created by Tinybop Inc.)
- Starfall ABCsLittle’s learn to recognise letters through games, letter sounds and sentences. (created by Starfall Education)
- Monkey Preschool Lunchbox This app is actually listed as the number one preschool game in the app store and I have to agree. There is so much to it yet no confusing navigations. They will learn Letters, numbers, colours, shapes, sizes, matching and differences. (THUP Games)
- PAW Patrol: Rescue Run!Saving Pups, earning badges, work as a team – this app promotes positive social development. (created by Nickelodeon)
Littlered’s Favorite Apps (8years old)
- Math MagicThis has helped my Little’s learn addition, subtraction and multiplications in a fun way (created by Anusen Inc)
- Word MagicFrom the same people that created Math Magic but this app helps with phonetics, spellings and fun with word games. (created by Anusen Inc)
- Fair Food MakerThis one is a little bit more fun then learning although Littlered loves to create food and bring it to the fair to sell so I guess there is a little business insight into it. (created by Sunstorm Interactive)
- Project MC2: Case Files You must really use your brain with this game. Solving case files using maths, common sense and what you have read – I must admit there was 3 grown ups staring at it one day as we couldn’t crack the case (I should be embarrassed) but it made for a funny 30minutes. (created by MGAE)
- Planet Geo: Geography & Learning Games For KidsMY FAVOURITE APP for Little’s this Summer. All about letting them become geography masters. Puzzle maps, Flag games, Continents games, Flashcards and it was created by teachers! Well worth the money as no adds also. (created by Planet Factory)
I hope this list comes of some use to Mama’s at their wits end! I can confirm I am in fact a hot mess at the moment and as much as I would love to tell ye that we are ALWAYS online researching baking, homework and arts & Crafts to fill up our days with… I would be a fraud.
Go on! Treat them to some Apps, ignore the words from ‘screen time is awful mama’s’ and Treat Yo Self to some peace 🙂
Love, Helly xx