When I was pregnant, I was undecided between a pump by Avent or one of the many Medela pumps. After asking my mummy friends, I decided to purchase the Medela Swing, a single electric pump. I was tempted to get the Freestyle which is an electric double pump but I had no idea what this baby was going to be like. Was baby even going to take to breast feeding? So therefor, would it be worth investing that much money when I wasn’t sure of the outcome.
I was originally going to get the Mini Electric and then decided I would spend a little bit more and invest in the Swing and I am really glad I did!
The pump has been following me everywhere – to work events, to shopping malls, to other people’s homes on play dates. Yes, I’ve been pumping (as much as I can) for my little milk monster at home.
What I love about the Medela Swing…
- The 2-phase expression is absolutely wonderful! It mimics the sucking of a baby to stimulate more milk production.
- It is quiet so the whole world won’t hear when your pumping.
- It is portable and you can opt to use batteries or electric. Perfect for busy mums who are always on the go.
- Simple to use, wash, and assemble.
- You have an option to convert it into a double-pump. DIY yourself and refer to the Medela Youtube video. It is very simple.
Alternatively, drop into Just Kidding for some friendly advice before deciding on which pump would suits you best.
I had used a cheaper model in the past and not been able to pump enough. Now, I have no doubt that for the last few weeks I have been using this pump and obtained vast amounts of milk it could simply be coincidence. Perhaps over-full boob, right time of day, etc . However there does seem to be something that it does that the other pump does not. Maybe it’s the funnel part which is all soft and warm and feels nicer than the rigid, avent funnel; perhaps it’s the way that they’ve designed this pump is so that you don’t have to lean forward (awkwardly I might add) or it could be the type of suction, long sucks rather than shorter sucks, that make me so happy.
I haven’t figured out why! I just know this pump floats my milk expressing boat!!
Love, Helly x