Back to school – Already!
I honestly don’t know where the last 12 weeks went and I would love to tell you that “I am a beginner” at this school mama jazz but we are in this game 5 years now so I really should be more prepared.
I feel like I have just released my freshly made (in my head) 10 and 7 year olds back to the school yard. Back to their teachers and friends and really my number one wish is that, they come out of school as happy as they went in!
No one prepares you for the feelings that hit you as a mother the first week back each year.
The excitement of them returning to school and the joy of us finally getting a well deserved break can sometimes be over shadowed by the fear of them not enjoying themselves.
Will they make friends?
Will they remember to go to the bathroom?
Will they eat their lunch?
Will someone tell them to “go into the shade!” If they are turning red!
Will they be happy?
The list is endless and the anxiety we feel as parents is fierce.
5 years in and mine have been too early, too late, eaten the contents of their lunch box in the back seat of the car, stripped off uniforms in the heat, fought over missing library books and of course, the obligatory spilling of drinks all over the back seat leading to smells like no other and all this before I race them in to school in time for the national anthem so they aren’t fined for being late!
How does one do this for 16 years?
I may not be able to solve most of the above problems for you. So I will just jot down a few that make my life easier.
Let’s call them ‘small wins!’
- Lunches – Checking out blog posts on the just kidding feed as Instagram lunch box queen @ieatmypeas has covered this so well. So many tips and tricks to make life easier for picky eaters and mothers like me who haven’t a clue!
- Back packs – There are some lovely choices out there. My top tips would be to have the bag ready for the next day before bedtime so there is less stress in the morning.
- Having the uniform out, underpants, socks, shoes. I find when it is laid out there are fewer arguments in the morning. I also get them to have their breakfast in their pajamas so there are fewer spillages!
- Car seats – Being safe should be everyone’s first tick off the list. High back car seats to and from school are a must! For the school tours or school buses I would highly recommend the Mi Fold for those who need one handy in their school bags. There should be no price on a child’s safety but these really are priced well in Just Kidding and fully approved!
- Tricky words – If your like me and need extra time for spellings. Do these while stuck in traffic! Pick 5 tricky words each morning to role off in the car especially helpful the morning of your little loves spelling test so the words are fresh in their mind.
Hope everyone’s first week or first week back goes smoothly and wishing everyone s fun year ahead!
Love, Helly x